The little “humpy” bridge, which crosses the old railway line from Old Main Road to Willingdon Ave opposite Platt Road in Kloof, was built out of re-inforced concrete in the early 1920s.
Benjamin Field, the youngest son of John and Elisabeth Field built a house soon after his marriage to Minnie Hoffman in 1897. The house still stands at 7 Platt Road, and was accessed by a farm road.
In about 1905 the first motor car arrived in Kloof, which presented a problem for some homeowners on the “wrong” side of the railway line. Level-crossings had already been built next to the current station and also opposite Krantzview Road, adjacent to Field’s Hill Garage, to allow the Field family and other local farmers, to cross with their ox-wagons.
At a date which has not yet been confirmed, but prior to 1926, Mr Edward Clothier purchased the land and house at 7 Platt Road, and he approached the South African Railways to have the “humpy” bridge built so that he could drive his car over the railway to his home.
Owing to width of the bridge (3.1 metres) it became too narrow for modern cars and was closed in the early 1960s when Willingdon Avenue was extended and the Elizabeth Bridge was built over the line next to Kloof station. (Between Church Road and Willingdon Avenue opposite Fields Centre). At the same time another bridge was built at the other end of Willingdon Avenue linking it to what is now known as Pioneer Rd.
Information courtesy of Adrian Rowe.